Saturday 29 October 2011

Lab Session 26/10/11 PART TWO

The second part of the lab was to using our mobile phones to take short videos of objects related to a given word or phrase. This turned out to be a lot more difficult that it sounded, yet I feel I captured quite interesting objects from angles I would not necessarily have filmed if I wasn't given this starting point.

Points and Lines
In the video below I focused on the lines of the wall. I moved up and down slowly, and then looked at the effect if I moved right with the vertical lines. I like the texture of this wall also and feel that it creates quite a confusing video.

This video films a more literal approach to a sign saying 'Test Point'. Instead of a point being like an arrow, this point is a place where people know to meet. I then slowly turned the camera left to film the lines of the bricks on the walls, hence a point and lines.


Space Within
I found this one the most interesting. This video is filmed in front of a vent where you can see only slightly inside. It was quite creepy and especially dark, with a thick layer of dust. It is a space that is never accessed yet still exists within the wall.


Light Reflection
For this one, I filmed a translucent window which had many different light sources shining through it but because the glass is quite thick and 'bumpy', the effect was quite interesting. It makes the viewer confused and creates quite and eerie atmosphere in a way you don't know what it creating the light and shadows on the other side.


At first, in the video below I was looking mainly at the reflection of the tiles as I sped along with the camera. However, it could also be interpreted as lines as has quite an interesting effect.



Time Progressing
Below is a video I took to represent time progressing. In front of me, I could see a wind turbine-like mechanism on the roof of the building. As the wind blew past it, the turbine moved which to me represents time progresses extremely quickly. However, when viewing the footage back on my camera, the turbine is extremely difficult to see. I need to remember to take into account the low resolution of my camera and how not everything visible in front of me will be able to be seen on camera.




This particular video is simply of leaves blowing in the wind. This represent time progressing more slowly. I wanted the viewer to feel a sense of calmness when watching it so that hopefully they do not realise how much time has passed until the video is actually over.


Shapes and Forms
This video shows the different shapes and forms you can find in just one small space. In this short video, you can find pebbles of all different shapes, sizes and colours as well as leaves, sticks, dirt, grass and mud.

1 comment:

  1. excellent explorations Lucy - I'm glad you are good at expressing your experience and motivations, it makes it easier to see what you are getting from the tasks! again, hopefully there is something you can glean from this exploration of looking for various visual elements and bring into your work.

    ReplyDelete